Steps To Your License
- You must be at least 18 years of age when applying for a license.
- Provide proof of 3 years actual full time experience as a salesperson or broker during the immediate 5 years preceding the application.
- Must have broker complete form LI-226.
- Complete a 90-hour broker course.
- Pass school examinations.
- Pass state examinations.
- Complete 9 hours (three 3-hour classes) of Broker Management Clinic.
- Complete Clearance Card Application.
- Apply for Broker License.
Proof of 3 years actual full time experience as a salesperson or broker during the immediate 5 years preceding application.
- Broker candidates are to self-determine their eligibility establishing at least three years of actual full-time real estate experience as a salesperson or broker within the five-year period immediately preceding the candidate’s license application for the broker’s license. Experience may be from any state.
- Broker Candidate Experience Verification. To substantiate that experience a separate and complete original Broker Candidate Experience Verification form (LI-226) from each verifying broker must be submitted. If you are designated or independent complete and sign the form yourself. If the experience was acquired in a state other than Arizona, a certified license history from each state in which a salesperson’s or broker’s license was held during the five year period must be obtained.
- These forms, along with any certified license history must be presented to Pearson VUE at the time of examination, and submitted to the Department at the time of examination.
- Click to view LI-226: http://www.azre.gov/Lic/Forms/Form_LI-226_Broker_Candidate_Experience.pdf
Complete a 90-hour broker course made up of twenty-four classes.
- Real Estate Law (classes L1 through L12) and Real Estate Finance (classes F1 through F12) and pass a school examination on each section.
- Arizona Department of Real Estate requires the 90 hours to be completed in a classroom setting.
Pass school examinations.
- Exam is broken up into two separate exams: Broker Law and Broker Finance
- Ranging from 150 – 200 questions.
- 75% is the passing score for each exam.
- The exams must be taken at two different times in order to allow enough time to complete.
Registering for the school examinations.
- You will be allowed to schedule both a Law exam and a Finance exam at different testing times.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled test time with ONLY your government issued picture ID, calculator, car keys and NOTHING ELSE.
- Late arrivals will not be permitted to take the exam. You are given four(4) hours to complete the exam.
- Exam results will be posted online within 24 hours of your scheduled exam.
Upon successful completion of both school exams, come into the school to pick up your Prelicensure Certificate and Candidate Information Bulletin.
- This will be available to pick up at Scottsdale location.
Register and schedule your state examinations with Pearson VUE.
- In order to register and schedule your state exam you must have your Prelicensure Education Certificate and Candidate Information Bulletin.
Schedule State Exam by:
Internet www.pearsonvue.com Select: Test Taker Services
Phone 888-405-5776 Monday – Friday 6am – 9pm MST
Saturday 6am – 3pm MST
Sunday 6am – 2pm MST
- YOU MUST TAKE YOUR Prelicensure Education Certificate and your LI-226 Broker Candidate Experience Verification forms with you when you take the state examination.
- 2 forms of identification with Legal Name. One must be a government issued photo, the second can be a signed credit card, debit card, or original S.S. card.
- Registration confirmation number
- 4 function calculator
The state Broker’s exam is in two parts, general real estate – 80 questions and Arizona state specific – 100 questions.
- Examinations are offered Monday through Friday by appointment at various locations in the state. The current Broker testing fee is $125 and it is best to have your credit card number available prior to calling the center for your reservation.
- 75% passing score on each of the tests is required. Test results are given upon completion of the exam.
Prior to applying for your broker license it is required you complete 9 hours (three 3-hour classes) of Broker Management Clinic.
- You may purchase 3 – $30 classes for $80 after completion of your school exams. You may use one of these classes towards the Commissioner’s Standards requirement when completing your first broker renewal.
A Department of Public Safety (DPS) Clearance Card will be required when applying for your license.
- You must submit a set of finger prints, a Clearance Card Application and the fee of $67 to DPS. We have enclosed a schedule of when you can have fingerprinting done at the school. The cost for fingerprints is $10.00 and you will pay our independent contractor directly. He accepts cash or check but not credit cards. DPS applications are available directly from DPS or from our independent contractor when he does your fingerprints.
If you are currently licensed as a salesperson, you must sever your salesperson’s license and your present broker must file a Salesperson/Associate Broker Change form showing the date of your severance as a salesperson.
Please note the ADRE does not retain any documents related to the process of obtaining your brokers license. If you lose your documents you will have to begin the process over again.
When applying for a license the following information is required:
- Broker Candidate Experience Verification Form – L1-226 (certified license history, if applicable)
- Proof of Legal Presence
- Prelicensure Certificate from the school
- Pearson VUE Examination Score Reports
- Disciplinary Actions Disclosure – Form LI-214
- Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Clearance Card (front & back copy)
- Broker Management Clinic Certificate
- Salesperson/Associate Broker Change Form – LI-202
- Employing Broker Change Form – LI-201 (if appropriate)
- Original Broker license fee – $125.00
- Real Estate Recovery Fund – $20
ADRE will accept applications for same day processing Monday through Friday. The cut off time for same day processing is 4:30 pm.
You may also submit through the ADRE message center.