A person wanting to conduct home inspections must now make application for certification. A Home Inspector Certification application can be accessed online by using the internet address and should be submitted to the Board of Technical Registration with the following information:
- An original and one copy of the completed application.
- Evidence of successful completion, within 2 years of the date of application, of the National Home Inspector Examination as administered by the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors.
- National Home Inspector Examination fee is $225.00.
- Completed fingerprint cards (2) and processing fee of $39.00.
- Application fee in the amount of $100.00.
- Upon obtaining the application forms, fill them out completely and send along with the appropriate fee(s) to:
Arizona Board of Technical Registration
1110 W. Washington, Suite 240
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
If additional information is needed regarding the application you may contact the Board @ (602) 364-4930
- Evidence of successful completion of 80 hours of clasroom training.
- Legible Board log of the required 30 parallel in-training home inspections completed, conducted on separate residential dwelling units, in the presence of a certified home inspector, meeting the standards required. This requirement is aboce and beyond your schooling and at a cost to be determined between yourself and the training inspector. Note: The candidate's application package for certification as a home inspector may be held in abeyance for a period of one year to allow for the completion of the requisite number of parallel home inspections.
- Proof of financial assurance as specified A.R.S. 32-122.02(B) must be provided within 60 days of receipt of certification.
EXAMINATION FACTS AND LOCATIONS
You must register before you may take the exam. The National Home Inspector Examination contains 200 multiple choice questions. You are given four hours to complete the exam. The National Home Inspector Examination fee is $225 per test. Exam centers are located in Scottsdale and Tucson. For more information about Home Inspector Examinations, to to www.homeinspectionexam.org or call 847-298-7750. To register to take the National Home Inspection Examination, go to http://candidate.psiexams.com or call toll-free 800-733-9267. You will receive two copies of your official passing score sheet and a Certificate of Achievement before you leave the testing center. Passing score sheets show your score on the scale of 200-800, with 500 as the pass point. Failing score sheets show a graph of your performance in each content area of the examination.
Arizona Locations for examinations:
Discovery Detective Academy
7418 E. Helm Dr., Ste. 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
1540 E. Wielding Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85702
Retesting is available in NOT less than 30 days. In order to retest the student must have the original score sheet from their examination and call the above number to reschedule. There is no limit to the number of times you can retest.